Two Burundi officials slain in gun attacks
16 March 2016, 21:16
Kigali - The governor of a rural province in Burundi says two officials with the ruling party have been shot dead in what he described as targeted attacks.
Gad Niyukuri, the governor of Makamba province, said on Wednesday that one of the victims lived in his region while the other official was attacked by gunmen in Bururi province.
Niyukuri identified the victims as Pascal Kazungu and Adrien Mudomo.
He said both officials were shot at close range on Tuesday night and appear to have been targeted because they are supporters of President Pierre Nkurunziza, whose decision last year to seek a third term sparked violent street protests and ongoing unrest.
More than 400 people have been killed in Burundi's unrest and at least 230 000 have fled the country to neighbouring countries.