Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Mali renews state of emergency after deadly attack

21 July 2016, 11:08

Bamako - The Malian government on Thursday declared a state of emergency, a day after an attack in the centre of the country left 17 soldiers dead and 35 wounded.

The government said the state of emergency would last "for a duration of 10 days" following the attack at at an army base in Nampala.

Its also said a period of national mourning would begin on Thursday "in homage to the victims of the terrorist attack".

In the hours after Tuesday's assaults two groups - one jihadist, the other ethnic - both claimed to have carried out the raid on the military camp.

Several security sources in the region told AFP they doubted the veracity of the claim of responsibility from the National Alliance for the Protection of Peul Identity and Restoration of Justice (ANSIPRJ).

Series of assaults

The ethnic group was only founded last month following inter-communal clashes in the area and lacked the means to mount an attack.

Malian jihadist organisation Ansar Dine also took credit for the attack, which the Malian government described as a "coordinated terrorist attack".

The government that the military was in control in Nampala and that the attackers would be hunted down and punished.

The attack was the latest in a series of assaults on security forces in Mali, and was condemned by the UN and EU.

A previous state of emergency in place since April had only been lifted the week before.

Northern Mali has seen repeated violence since it fell under the control of Tuareg-led rebels who allied with jihadist groups linked to al-Qaeda in 2012.

But attacks are now becoming more frequent in the country's centre, close to its borders with Burkina Faso and Niger, both from criminal and jihadist elements.

Although Islamists were largely ousted by an ongoing French-led military operation launched in January 2013, sporadic attacks from desert hideouts are common.



Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Deal with corruption or lose in 2...

A Jubilee Party MP says that the unending corruption claims against the government are killing President Uhuru Kenyatta's re-election efforts for 2017. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
MP accuses Raila of making up fal...

An MP has accused CORD leader Raila Odinga of bringing up non existent corruption scandals to hurt the Jubilee government. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave office if you can't handle ...

Leave office if you cannot handle corruption, an MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Give me the chance to unseat Uhur...

Give me the chance to send President Uhuru Kenyatta home, Kalonzo Musyoka tells Kenyans. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Explain your foreign trips since ...

Explain your foreign trips, Musalia Mudavadi tells President Uhuru Kenyatta. Read more...