Libya's new defence minister survives assassination attempt
14 July 2016, 18:50
Benghazi - ZLibya's new defence minister is said to have survived a car bomb assassination attempt, One of his guards was wounded by shrapnel.
The media office of Mahdi al-Barghathi said on Thursday that the minister came under attack while leaving an army barrack in the eastern city of Benghazi, when a car bomb was detonated on Wednesday.
Al-Barghathi is part of the UN-brokered unity government seated in the capital Tripoli, which has so far failed to win the parliament's vote of confidence.
A key point of contention is over the army leadership and the future of General Khalifa Hifter, the head of armed forces based in the east, unpopular in western Libya, but a hero for some in eastern Libya.