Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Guinea electoral violence victims to receive compensation

12 October 2016, 17:01

Conakry - Guinea's political parties have agreed to compensate victims of pre-election violence in 2013 by the government and the opposition, which rights groups say left 60 people dead.

The months running up to the 2013 general election in the west African nation were beset by violence, while the opposition coalition alleged massive fraud including ballot stuffing and voter intimidation during the vote itself.

The agreement was announced after the close late on Monday of a "national dialogue" between political parties and civil society which has also produced a rough timeframe for long-delayed local elections.

"One fund will be dedicated to compensating the beneficiaries of the dead and for disabled people, and a second will compensate victims of looting," opposition spokesman Aboubacar Sylla told AFP.

Politics in Guinea typically polarises some two dozen ethnic groups who otherwise live in harmony alongside each other - with the Fulani, the largest at around 40 percent of the population, followed by the Malinke and Soussou.

A spokesman for the ruling Guinean People's Assembly (RPG) confirmed that compensation would be given to victims of violence in 2013 only.

His statement follows a report issued by rights groups Monday condemning the absence of prosecutions or payouts to those affected by similar crimes in a 2015 presidential election.

The Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International report also touched on the 2013 abuses, describing them as "unaddressed".

The majority of 60 deaths registered during the run-up to the vote "were allegedly caused by members of the security services," they said.



Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...