Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


War-torn Somalia appeals for urgent aid amid drought

05 August 2014, 17:15

Mogadishu - Somalia's government begged for help Tuesday, warning the war-torn nation once again faced a hunger and drought catastrophe three years after famine killed more than a quarter of a million people.

"Drought has already reached several regions in Somalia," the government said in a statement, warning that "it anticipates that the situation will continue to deteriorate".

"The aid in form of food, water and medication must urgently reach the affected population," the statement added.

Last month the UN warned Somalia is sliding back into an acute hunger crisis, with parts of the capital Mogadishu facing near famine-level shortages and aid organisations unable to meet the needs of some 350,000 displaced people there.

"All members of parliament are calling on the international community and the United Nations to assist... to prevent the return of the deadly humanitarian crisis of the 2011 famine," the government said.

Somalia's internationally-backed government, selected in 2012, was widely hailed as offering the best chance in decades to repair the war-ravaged country.

UN assessments show "above emergency levels of malnutrition" in seven towns, including the major centres of Garowe, Gal kayo and Kismayu, with the "highest deterioration" reported in Mogadishu.

More than 250,000 people, half of them children, died in the devastating 2011 famine.

Reports of a hunger crisis inside the capital casts a further pall over the government's record following accusations of corruption and continued attacks by Islamist Sheba insurgents in even the most well-protected areas.

Thousands displaced by war live in basic makeshift shelters in Mogadishu, where Al-Baeda-linked Shebaab fighters continue to launch regular attacks, including brazen commando raids on the presidential palace and parliament.

The hardline Shebaab, which once controlled most of southern and central Somalia, has been driven out of positions in Mogadishu and Somalia's major towns by a 22,000-strong African Union force.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Machakos no longer a CORD zone, M...

Machakos is now a Jubilee Party zone and no longer CORD, Governor Alfred Mutua says. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
REVEALED: Why Kalonzo attacked Uh...

There was no holding back for CORD co principal Kalonzo Musyoka as he spoke his mind during Mashujaa Day celebrations in Machakos. But why? Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will step down if I lose in 201...

President Uhuru Kenyatta says that he is ready to step down from office if he loses the 2017 General Elections. Read more...