Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


US citizens urged to leave Libya

28 May 2014, 10:14

Washington - The state department recommended on Tuesday that Americans leave Libya immediately and warned US citizens against any travel to the North African country.

The department also said that due to security concerns and limited staffing it was only able to offer limited emergency services to US citizens there. There was no move yet to evacuate diplomats from the embassy.

The department said the security situation in Libya "remains unpredictable and unstable", with crime levels high in many parts of the country. It added that various groups also have called for attacks against US citizens and US interests in Libya.

"US citizens currently in Libya should exercise extreme caution and depart immediately," the department said in a statement.


The department in December warned US citizens against all but essential travel to Tripoli, and against any travel outside the Libyan capital.

Since then a renegade Libyan general has launched a military offensive against Islamists and their allied militias in Libya, which has been plagued by lawlessness since the death of dictator Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.

Also Tuesday, US defence officials said the Navy warship USS Bataan had moved into the Mediterranean Sea and could be used, if needed, for any possible evacuation of American personnel from Libya.

The officials said the Bataan, an amphibious assault ship, was not near Libya and wasn't expected to be positioned off its coast. It more likely would remain in the region, and could move or respond quickly if called.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to discuss the matter by name.

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Cyril Mike Odhiz
Kenyans furious on young lady aft...

A young Kenyan woman is the talk of town after she posted a photo with her elderly lover after a round of steamy sex, or so the photo suggested.  Read more...

Submitted by
Kiplangat langat
Uhuru could be a one term Presid...

Bomet governor Isaac Ruto has said that President Uhuru Kenyatta could be a one term President if he fails to increase allocations to the counties. Read more...

Submitted by
Mody Sammy
35 year old farmer a new milliona...

A 35 year old farmer from Mpeketoni Lamu county has become the latest millionaire in town as she became winner in the ongoing ‘Shinda Mamili na Story Ibambe’. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Leave your past relationship bagg...

Leave your past relationship baggage at the door when you start a new relationship. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Advice from a young married Kenya...

I was just going to get water in the office kitchen and thought a simple hi was fine until I ended up in an hour long conversation with someone. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Helping you find the type of man ...

To put it simply, you can’t go looking for fish in a meat market; you have to go to a fish market. Read more...