Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


UN threatens 'lethal force' against M23

16 July 2013, 08:55

New York - The United Nations said on Monday it is ready to use "lethal force" to stop a rebel advance on the Democratic Republic of Congo city of Goma after major new clashes erupted.

The DRC government said at least 130 people, including 10 soldiers, were killed in new fighting with M23 rebels on the outskirts of Goma in the east of the country on Sunday.

The UN has deployed a 3 000 strong intervention brigade in eastern DRC in recent weeks. The joint South African, Tanzanian, Malawian brigade has an unprecedently strong UN Security Council mandate to take on armed groups.

The DRC "mission has put its troops on high alert and stands ready to take any necessary measures including the using of lethal force to protect civilians," UN spokesperson Martin Nesirky said.

"Any attempt by the M23 to advance toward Goma will be considered a direct threat to civilians," he added.

M23, which UN experts say has received backing from Rwanda and Uganda, briefly took Goma in November last year, sparking the UN decision to beef up its forces in a region where millions have died in conflict over the past two decades.

The latest heavy fighting broke out at Mutaho, about eight kilometres northwest of Goma, the UN mission in DRC, Monusco, said.

The M23, which has forces around Goma, has reinforced its positions with "heavy artillery" and a "battle tank," Monusco said in a statement.




Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...