Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


UN threatens Sudan government, rebels

13 February 2015, 09:38

New York - The UN Security Council threatened new sanctions on Thursday against Sudanese government officials and armed groups that attack civilians in Darfur, target peacekeepers and impede efforts to end the 12-year conflict in Sudan's vast western region.

The council made the threats in a resolution adopted unanimously that extends the mandate of the panel of experts monitoring the implementation of sanctions in Darfur until 12 March 2016. Members said they intend to review the panel's mandate and take action on further extensions by 12 Feb of next year.

Darfur has been torn by conflict since 2003 when rebels took up arms against the government in Khartoum, accusing it of discrimination and neglect. The United Nations says 300 000 people have died in the conflict and 2.7 million have fled their homes.

Several rebel groups have signed peace deals with the government, but Darfur's two main rebel factions, the Justice and Equality Movement and the Sudan Liberation Movement, have not.

The resolution stressed that "the Darfur conflict cannot be resolved militarily and a durable solution can only be obtained through an inclusive political process."

The Security Council expressed deep concern at increased violence and insecurity in recent months and demanded that all parties halt military action, including aerial bombardments. It also demanded an immediate end to all acts of sexual violence against civilians, recruitment of child soldiers, and indiscriminate attacks on civilians, and urged the government to say what measures it has put in place to protect civilians in Darfur.

The resolution deplored Sudan's continuing violation of a requirement that it get prior authorization from the council's sanctions committee for all movements of weapons and ammunition into Darfur.

US Ambassador Samantha Power accused Sudan of refusing to allow the UN to investigate a mass rape in the North Darfur village of Tabit last year. Human Rights Watch said in a report on Wednesday that Sudanese army troops raped at least 221 women and girls in Tabit in a series of organized, house-to-house attacks.

"The horror of Tabit is just one horror, one attack of too many to count," said Power, who also accused the government of "obstruction, harassment and direct attacks that have impeded efforts to deliver humanitarian aid in Darfur.

Sudan's charge d'affaires Hassan Hamid Hassan rejected Power's accusations and called the Human Rights Watch report "fabricated."

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
What do men mean when they say th...

As much as men think they are the ones confused by relationships, they have a better idea of it than most women actually do. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto, not Kenneth the main man...

DP William Ruto will be the main man for the Jubilee Party in 2022, Kiraitu Murungi insists. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Jittery times for DP Ruto as Kenn...

Peter Kenneth is a genuine threat to DP William Ruto's 2022 State House bid... and the DP's allies know it. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will name those sabotaging DP R...

A Jubilee Party Governor says that he will name and shame those within Jubilee he says are undermining DP William Ruto's 2022 State House plans. Read more...

ODM official acquitted of defilem...

A Nakuru ODM official on Thursday broke into tears after the court acquitted him of defilement charges leveled against him by his 15-year-old cousin. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...