Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


UN says South Sudan army and rebels loot food

15 January 2014, 10:17

United Nations - UN leader Ban Ki-moon condemned South Sudan's army and opposition rebels Tuesday for steeling food and humanitarian supplies as the country's conflict escalates.

Ban expressed alarm at the growing death toll in the month-old confrontation between President Salva Kiir and former vice president Riek Machar and insisted UN peacekeepers would not help either side.

The UN secretary-general "strongly condemns the commandeering of humanitarian vehicles and the theft of food stocks and other relief items by both government and anti-government forces," said his spokesman Martin Nesirky.

Ban hit out hours after the UN mission reported dozens of people who took refuge at a UN compound had been wounded in fighting between Kiir and Machar's forces.

The two sides were engaged in "heavy fighting" near the Malakal base in Upper Nile state, Nesirky said earlier. Stray bullets from heavy machine guns and tanks hit some of the 20,000 people who have taken shelter in the compound.

The South Sudan government said earlier that more than 200 people fleeing Malakal died when an overcrowded ferry capsized.

"The secretary-general is alarmed by the rising number of fatalities resulting from the continuing fighting in South Sudan," including the ferry disaster, said Nesirky.

"He is also deeply concerned about the rising number of displaced people in the country, which surpassed 400,000 this week, and the challenges humanitarians are facing in providing life-saving assistance."

Ban made a new appeal for a ceasefire to give a chance to negotiations brokered by the East African region's Intergovernmental Authority on Development.

"He reiterates that those responsible for attacks against civilians, humanitarian workers and UN personnel will be held accountable, and that the United Nations will continue to actively protect civilians applying strict impartiality," said Nesirky.

The United Nations had provided limited logistical assistance to the government Sudan People's Liberation Army but this was halted after the December 15 outbreak of hostilities, according to UN officials.

The International Crisis Group and other aid groups estimate that up to 10,000 people have been killed in the fighting.

The UN says 65,000 people have taken refuge in UN camps across the country and more than 430,000 have fled to Uganda and other neighboring countries.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...