Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


UN chief vows crackdown on atrocities

13 June 2013, 12:33

Goma - The new military chief of the United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo vowed on Wednesday to crack down on killing, rape and forced recruitment by armed groups terrorising the country's conflict-torn east.

"The priority is protection of civilians. So we do not accept crimes, attacks against the population or against the United Nations, and we are going to use all means from now on," Brazilian General Carlo Alberto dos Santos Cruz told journalists on his first official visit to the key eastern city of Goma.

"It is not acceptable [to show] tolerance in crimes like killing, rapes, looting, forced recruitment."

Santos Cruz was named last month to head the 15-year-old peacekeeping operation, the UN's largest, which is tasked with protecting civilians from years of violence by rebel groups and ethnic militias that have ravaged the vast central African country's mineral-rich east.

Known as MONUSCO, the mission includes some 17 000 troops plus a new "intervention brigade" created by the UN Security Council in March to fight armed groups, the first offensive unit ever authorised by the UN.

Santos Cruz said the new unit, which is eventually meant to have around 3 000 troops, currently has 40% of that number and will reach full force in late July.

The brigade, made up of troops from Tanzania, Malawi and South Africa, began deploying to Goma on 13 May.

The flashpoint city, the capital of North Kivu province, has been the scene of intense fighting between the Congolese army and the M23 rebels, an armed group launched by Tutsi former soldiers who mutinied in April 2012.

The M23 briefly seized Goma late last year before withdrawing under international pressure, but remain on the outskirts of the city and have continued to clash with government forces.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Why he does not call your name

A slip of the tongue can happen just any time. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Why Boniface Mwangi wants DP Ruto...

Photojournalist and activist Boniface Mwangi is now demanding for the Deputy President William Ruto’s tax returns. Read more...

Submitted by
Vincent Munga
Jambojet increases flight frequen...

Jambojet will increase its flights to Mombasa from 22 to 31 flights a week, while Kisumu, Eldoret and Ukunda will have a total of 20 flights per week each.  Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Al Shabaab attack Mandera hotel, ...

A total of 33 non-locals were in the hotel when the assault was launched.  Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
4 ways to handle your cheating ma...

He is cheating. How do you handle him?

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Why do men choose second wives?

Why do men choose to have second wives?