Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


UAE aircraft bombed Islamists in Libya

26 August 2014, 09:23

Washington - The United Arab Emirates has secretly sent warplanes on bombing raids against Islamist militias in Libya over the past week, using bases in Egypt, two US officials said on Monday.

The two attacks carried out over the past week mark a dramatic expansion of the conflict and comes as the United States and its European allies denounced "outside interference" in Libya.

The bombing raids were first reported by The New York Times and Islamist forces in Libya also had alleged strikes had taken place.

"The UAE carried out those strikes," one of the officials told AFP on condition of anonymity.

Asked about the account, the senior US official said "the report is accurate".

The United States did not take part or provide any assistance in the bombing raids, the two officials said.

The first airstrikes took place a week ago, focusing on targets in Tripoli held by the militias, including a small weapons depot, according to the Times. Six people were killed in the bombing.

A second round was conducted south of the city early on Saturday targeting rocket launchers, military vehicles and a warehouse, according to the newspaper.

Those strikes may have represented a bid to prevent the imminent capture of the Tripoli airport, but the militia forces eventually prevailed and seized control of it.

Escalation of fighting and violence

The UAE - which has spent billions on US-manufactured warplanes and other advanced weaponry - provided the military aircraft, aerial refuelling planes and aviation crews to bomb Libya, while Cairo offered access to its air bases, the paper said.

But it remained unclear whether and to what degree Egypt and the UAE had informed the Americans in advance of the airstrikes.

When pressed on the issue, US officials could not confirm that Egypt and the Emirates had left Washington totally in the dark about the air attacks.

The strikes signalled a step toward direct action by regional Arab states that previously have fought proxy wars in Libya, Syria and Iraq in a struggle for power and influence.

Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the Emirates view Islamist militants in the region as a serious threat and have forged co-operation against what they see as a common danger.

The Islamist groups that emerged after the Arab Spring uprisings in turn have enjoyed support from Qatar and Turkey.

The bombing raids came amid a Western diplomatic push for a negotiated settlement to quell the violence in Libya, where the government's authority has unravelled in the face of the Islamist-linked militias.

Britain, France, Germany, Italy and the United States issued a joint statement on Monday condemning an "escalation of fighting and violence" in Libya and urged a democratic, peaceful transition.

The Western powers expressed particular concern over violence "against residential areas, public facilities, and critical infrastructure, by both land attacks and air strikes".

Without mentioning any air strikes by the UAE and Egypt, the statement said "outside interference in Libya exacerbates current divisions and undermines Libya's democratic transition".

The governments welcomed upcoming discussions at the UN Security Council on Libya and said "we encourage the international community to support Libya's elected institutions".



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Prepare for DP Ruto fight in 2022...

An MP has warned that the Kalenjin Community will not stand back and watch as DP Ruto is duped ahead of the 2022 polls. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be careful who you deal with, DP ...

Watch out for your political future, DP William Ruto has been warned. Read more...