Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Tutu cancels travel plans to battle cancer

09 December 2014, 19:39

Johannesburg - South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu has cancelled all travel plans for the rest of the year in order to battle cancer, his foundation said Tuesday.

The 83-year-old Nobel peace laureate will embark "on a new course of medication to manage the prostate cancer he's been living with for the past 15 years," a statement said.

It is the latest medical setback for the anti-apartheid icon, who was hospitalised last year for a persistent infection.

A battery of tests at that time showed no new malignancy.

Tutu had been scheduled to attend a Nobel Peace Laureates Summit in Rome this week.

Under apartheid, Tutu campaigned against white minority rule during the years that Nelson Mandela was imprisoned and was awarded the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize for his work.

Officially retired, he is still outspoken on the world's injustices, and is widely viewed as South Africa's moral conscience.

Last week he urged South Africans to emulate Mandela's example.

"Our obligation to Madiba is to continue to build the society he envisaged, to follow his example," Tutu said, using Mandela's clan name.

Tutu survived an illness believed to be polio as a baby and battled tuberculosis as a teenager.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page! 



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...