Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Traore attack: Ecowas threatens sanctions

22 May 2012, 14:17

Bamako - The 15-state West African bloc Ecowas warned on Tuesday it would punish those responsible for orchestrating violence after hundreds of protesters stormed Mali's presidential palace and beat up interim leader Dioncounda Traore.

Monday's attack on Traore was the latest setback for efforts to stabilise Mali after a March 22 coup and a subsequent rebellion by northern separatists and Islamists now in charge of two-thirds of the country.

Traore received treatment in hospital for head injuries before moving to a secure location late on Monday.

The attack came days after coup leader Captain Amadou Sanogo agreed under pressure from Ecowas to allow an extension of Traore's 40-day mandate as caretaker president charged with leading a gradual transition back to full civilian rule.

"Ecowas forcefully condemns this attack which it considers to be in defiance of its decisions. It will make the necessary inquiries to establish who ordered and carried out this reprehensible attack and apply the appropriate sanctions," it said in a statement.

It questioned how hundreds of demonstrators could storm the palace so easily given the presence of security forces and said such protests "were orchestrated by persons determined to disrupt the normal passage of the transition process".

Past statements have explicitly warned Sanogo and other coup leaders they would face targeted sanctions such as foreign asset freezes and travel bans if they tried to block the transition process, however the latest statement did not mention them.

A spokesman for the CNRDRE body that represents the soldiers behind the coup said on Monday the occupation of the palace was a spontaneous show of anger at Traore and his Ecowas-backed nomination by Malians who want to choose their own leader.

The palace occupation happened during a street protest by several thousand in Bamako that had been encouraged by local politicians who back Sanogo.

Sanogo had agreed at the weekend to allow Traore's mandate to be extended in return for securing the status and privileges normally accorded former heads of state, including a comfortable pension for life and other perks.

A Reuters reporter said the streets of the capital Bamako were calm early on Tuesday.

It was not clear when Traore, a former parliament speaker who has held various cabinet positions, would return to the palace, around which security forces were posted. Civilian palace staff fled during Monday's attack.


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
S Mbinya
What to do after breakup

Your life does not end after breakup. Here are tips to move on: Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Rare gift for President Uhuru Ken...

Young Jubilee supporters have a rare surprise gift for the President. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Illegal milk nabbed in Mombasa wa...

Milk powder is considered a sensitive commodity under the EAC Common External Tariff (CET) and attracts an import duty at a rate of 60 per cent. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Athlete collapses, dies in Machak...

His coach blamed his untimely death on the supplements the athletes are given. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Popular radio presenter found dea...

Grace Makosewe was working for Capital FM before moving to Urban Radio in Kisumu. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Four wards to elect new MCAs in b...

This follows the death of former office holders between April and August this year. Read more...