Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Suspect in Ivory Coast election deaths faces court

28 March 2014, 09:01

The Hague - A former youth leader accused of involvement in murder, rapes and persecution during violence after Ivory Coast's 2010 elections declared his innocence on Thursday as he appeared for the first time at the International Criminal Court.

Charles Ble Goude looked confident, pumping his fist, waving and blowing a kiss to supporters in the public gallery at the brief hearing, the first since Ivory Coast authorities handed him over to the court in The Hague last week.

The 42-year-old was not required to enter pleas to four crimes-against-humanity charges, but told Judge Silvia Fernandez "I am wrongly accused".

Violence that erupted after Ivory Coast's 2010 disputed presidential election left at least 3 000 people dead.

Human rights groups say Ble Goude's youth group — the Young Patriots — played a decisive role in creating a climate of terror during the postelection violence, erecting barricades and checkpoints where an untold number of West African nationals were killed, many by being "necklaced" with tires that were then set on fire.

Former Ivory Coast president Laurent Gbagbo also is in the court's detention unit. Gbagbo faces charges of involvement in atrocities carried out by his supporters after the election that saw him ousted from office.

Until Gbagbo was forced from power in April 2011, Ble Goude held regular rallies where he used increasingly xenophobic rhetoric, which many believe incited his supporters to violence — claims that he has denied. He spent nearly two years in hiding before he was arrested in Ghana last year.

His lawyer, Nick Kaufmann, told the court he would seek to have Ble Goude released from jail pending further developments in the case.

The court set 18 August as the date for a hearing at which judges must decide whether prosecutors' evidence is strong enough to merit a trial.

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
William Korir
CORD to stop Jubilee efforts to r...

The CORD Coalition will not allow plans to remove Kenya from the Rome Statutes take place, it has said. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
How long will it take Kenya to le...

Kenya is looking to leave the ICC. But what is the process behind the exit? Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Jubilee resumes efforts to push K...

Kenya will this week resume efforts to leave the ICC court. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
How to treat him right

Men want to go home to a woman who makes them feel loved and appreciated. Here's how to make him feel special here: Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Kenyans demand action after femal...

This comes a few days after a female passenger was drugged and then robbed in a matatu plying the Kenyatta – Kencom route. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Natural aphrodisiacs to boost lib...

It is advisable to take them before sex in order to achieve maximum benefit. Read more...