Sudan vows to react to S Sudan attack
11 April 2012, 14:04
Khartoum - Sudan vowed late on Tuesday to react with "all means" against
a three-pronged attack it said South Sudanese forces launched against
South Kordofan state.
"The government of Sudan announces after
this attack that it will react by all means," a statement on the
official SUNA news agency said, warning of "destruction" in the South.
statement came after Sudan carried out new airstrikes inside South
Sudan and rival armies exchanged artillery fire in their latest round of
fighting in contested border regions.
An AFP correspondent in
the South Sudanese frontline village of Tashwin heard heavy artillery
shelling and multiple airstrikes lasting for around an hour, with one
bomb dropped by aircraft landing less than a kilometre away.
statement on SUNA claimed that South Sudanese forces backed by rebel
groups launched their main attack in Sudan's key oil-producing region of
It did not specify which rebels but the Sudan People's
Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) has been battling government troops
in South Kordofan since June.
Sudan has also previously alleged that Darfuri rebels were operating in the Heglig area.
South Sudan has denied backing opposition groups in the north.
broke out two weeks ago between Sudan and South Sudan along their
undemarcated and disputed frontier in the Heglig area, with each side
blaming the other.
It was the most serious unrest since the South gained independence from Khartoum last July, after Africa's longest civil war.
fears have mounted of a return to full-blown conflict, and the clashes
led to crisis talks in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa last week.
President Omar al-Bashir on Monday accused the South of involvement in
recent attacks inside his country, but said Khartoum is nonetheless
committed to negotiations.