Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Sudan puts tighter controls on UN peacekeepers

05 December 2014, 20:50

United Nations - Sudan has imposed tighter controls on a massive, troubled UN peacekeeping force while trying to pressure it to leave the country, and it claims allegations of a mass rape in Darfur that have strained relations have been found to be not true.

The UN's peacekeeping chief on Thursday told the Security Council that a UN team started meeting this week with Sudanese counterparts about an exit strategy after Sudan's government publicly called for the mission to go.

Tensions are high over the UN's attempts to investigate the reported rape of 200 women and girls in a Darfur village by government-allied troops.

Sudan last month demanded that the mission remove two human rights experts from a Khartoum liaison office, which peacekeeping chief Herve Ladsous called "unacceptable".

Also Read: Uganda MPs ready new anti-gay bill as 'Christmas gift'

Now Sudan has told the UN mission not to work with local officials without checking with the foreign ministry, Ladsous said.

Sudanese ambassador Rahamtalla Elnor said it's time to discuss a departure, saying a national dialogue will bring peace to Darfur.

The rape investigation is the latest source of friction between Sudan and the deeply troubled 20 300-strong peacekeeping force in Darfur, where rebels have been fighting the government for more than a decade.


The joint UN-African Union peacekeeping mission at first said its investigation found no evidence of a mass rape in Tabit village, but the UN special representative on sexual violence in conflict said a heavy military presence during the visit could have affected its findings.

The Security Council then demanded that Sudan allow a full investigation.

Instead, Sudan on Thursday called the peacekeeping mission unprofessional and gave council members the results of its own investigation. An executive summary obtained by The Associated Press says a prosecutor's team questioned 88 people in the village and found no evidence of rape.

"The women of Tabet live under the wing of men", the summary says. "No such grave crimes could have happened while men would not move a finger or have some reaction".

Also Read:At least 133 killed in tribal clashes in Sudan

It says those questioned were "outraged by the tarnishing of their reputations" and that women in the village have filed a complaint to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

The office of Ban's spokesperson said a letter from Sudanese women's groups was sent to a high-ranking UN official in Sudan and transmitted to Ban's office.

"The government of Sudan definitely has nothing to be accused of," Elnor later told reporters.

Sudan's report appeared not to answer some council members' concerns. "Would a woman admit she was raped with soldiers looking over her shoulder? Unbiased investigation needed", council member Lithuania tweeted after the meeting.

The Darfur mission has the second-highest budget of all UN peacekeeping forces, at more than $1.3bn a year, but is has faced persistent criticism about its effectiveness. Early this year, the Security Council ordered a review of its work and asked Ban to suggest options for the mission's future, including an exit strategy, by the end of February 2015.

The council on Thursday urged that Sudan's government cooperate fully with the mission.

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...