Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Sudan denies bombing oil centre

16 April 2012, 13:02

Khartoum - Sudan on Sunday warned South Sudan against damaging oil facilities in the Heglig region it has occupied, after the South accused Khartoum's air force of bombing the area.

"If the South Sudanese army affects the oil infrastructure it means it is keen on taking the conflict to a new level," Foreign Ministry spokesperson Al-Obeid Meruh said in a statement.

South Sudan's army spokesperson Colonel Philip Aguer told reporters earlier on Sunday that Sudanese planes were bombing the Heglig area "indiscriminately" but had not managed to oust his country's forces.

Sudan's army claimed on Saturday to be "kilometres" from the main town of Heglig after beginning a counterattack. The army spokesperson did not answer phone calls on Sunday.

"We deny that Sudan bombed the oil infrastructure in Heglig," Information Minister Abdullah Ali Massar said in a statement on the official SUNA news agency.

He said his country also had no wish to bomb oil facilities in South Sudan.

Khartoum tightly restricts the movement of journalists, aid workers and diplomats in South Kordofan state, of which Heglig is a part, making verification of the situation on the ground difficult.

World powers have urged restraint after heavy fighting began with waves of aerial bombardment hitting the South, whose troops on Tuesday seized Heglig from Khartoum's army.

Peace deal

It is the most serious fighting since last July when South Sudan separated after an overwhelming "yes" vote under a peace deal that ended 22 years of civil war.

When the South became independent Khartoum lost about 75% of its oil production and billions of dollars in revenue, leaving the Heglig area as its main oil centre.

Tuesday's attack caused a total production shutdown, said Ahmed Haroun, the South Kordofan governor.

The latest fighting follows clashes around Heglig that began on March 26.

After that unrest a Sudanese oil engineer said the area's normal daily output of 60 000 barrels - about half Sudan's total - had fallen to 40 000 because some wells were affected by the fighting. Sudan's oil minister denied there was any damage.

South Sudan disputes that Heglig is part of the north's territory.




Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...