Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


South Sudan peace talks put on hold again

06 October 2014, 09:22

Addis Ababa - The stop-start talks between warring factions in South Sudan, which have borne little fruit since they began almost 10 months ago, were once again put on hold on Sunday, the government delegation announced.

"The talks have been adjourned," a source from the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), an East African regional group that has been mediating the talks in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa, told AFP.

Michael Makuei, chief negotiator for the South Sudan government, told AFP the negotiations had been called off by IGAD but would resume on 16 October.

"It will give them time to consult on some of the outstanding issues and sticking points in the talks, especially the powers of the prime minister and whether the president will be head of state and government," he said.

The talks, which have been repeatedly interrupted since they began in January, aim to find a lasting solution to the conflict which broke out on 15 December between factions loyal to President Salva Kiir and his former vice-president Riek Machar.

The clashes quickly descended into atrocities along ethnic lines between the two principal tribal groups, Dinka and Nuer, to which the leaders respectively belong.

Also read: South Sudan peace talks halt with no progress made

Previous ceasefire agreements have all been broken, and efforts to form a unity government have so far failed, with the international community accusing the leaders of being insincere in their claims to seek a peaceful resolution.

Thousands of people have been killed and more than 1.8 million have fled since fighting began.

Meanwhile, the United Nations has said that the country's food crisis is the "worst in the world" and aid workers have warned of the risk of famine.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...