Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


South Sudan peace talks halt with no progress made

23 June 2014, 15:37

Addis Ababa - Peace talks between South Sudan rebels and the government adjourned on Monday with no progress made on forming an interim government or implementing a ceasefire.

Both sides have boycotted the talks since a meeting earlier this month between South Sudan President Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar, who had previously agreed to form a transitional government and implement a ceasefire by August 10.

"The talks have been adjourned from today until further notice," the government's chief negotiator, Michael Makuei, told AFP. "We did not make any progress."

The government had temporarily pulled out after Mahboub Maalim, head of East African bloc IGAD that is brokering the talks, said both sides were "stupid" if they thought they could resolve the conflict militarily, but returned to negotiations on Friday.

The rebels have continued their boycott, arguing that civil society organisations, religious groups and other political parties should not be part of negotiations. A rebel spokesman also said neither side wanted to continue to work with IGAD.

"We want to have direct talks with the government and the government is also willing, so it's unfortunate that the mediators have not understood this," rebel spokesman Hussein Mar told AFP.

He said the deadline set by mediators is now unlikely to be met with talks paused indefinitely, and said the situation is likely to worsen in South Sudan with talks stalled.

"It will really be a big disappointment to the people who are suffering that their hopes are dashed. It's a big concern," he said.

The six-month-old conflict in South Sudan has already killed thousands and displaced 1.3 million people, with aid agencies warning of a massive famine looming.

IGAD meanwhile urged both parties to "assume their responsibilities" and return to talks to resolve this "tragic situation," according to a statement.

The conflict, which started as a political row between Kiir and his former deputy Machar, has taken on an ethnic dimension, with Machar's Nuer tribe pitted against the Dinka community that is loosely tied to Kiir.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...