Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


South Sudan civilians tied, shot in war

17 January 2014, 20:05

New York - A UN rights envoy in South Sudan said on Thursday he had seen bodies in the streets that had been tied before being shot as the global body stepped up warnings over rights abuses.

The UN has accused forces of President Salva Kiir and former vice president Riek Machar of carrying out atrocities in the conflict that started on 25 December.

Amid mounting reports of mass killings in several towns, UN assistant secretary general Ivan Simonovic said 92 UN investigators are in the country and a first report would be released in about two weeks.

Speaking after a visit to the Unity state capital of Bentiu, Simonovic said it had been left a "ghost town" by successive raids by the rival forces. Nearly all the 40 000 inhabitants have fled.

"When there is change of control over Bentiu each time the group that was taking control was involved in human rights violations including killings of civilians," Simonovic was quoted as saying by the UN mission in South Sudan.

"We could see about 15 to 20 decomposing bodies just by the street," he added. "Obviously civilians are being tied before being killed."

Aid groups say up to 10 000 people have been killed in the battles and UN leader Ban Ki-moon has warned that both sides will be held "accountable".

Human Rights Watch said in a report released on Thursday that it had interviewed witnesses to abuses in the capital Juba and Bor.

It said there had been "widespread killings" of ethnic Nuer men by Kiir's armed forces in Juba, including a massacre of between 200 and 300 men in the Gudele neighbourhood on 16 December.

The UN said it has stepped up security, including searches for weapons, at its compounds around the country where more than 65 000 people are estimated to have taken refuge.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM beats Jubilee in 3 by-electio...

ODM dominates Jubilee Party in by elections.

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Kenyan ivory seized in Vietnam

Vietnamese authorities have seized 1 tonne of ivory smuggled from Kenya, the fifth such seizure in the past month. Read more...

Submitted by
Cyril Mike Odhiz
Kenyans furious on young lady aft...

A young Kenyan woman is the talk of town after she posted a photo with her elderly lover after a round of steamy sex, or so the photo suggested.  Read more...

Submitted by
Kiplangat langat
Uhuru could be a one term Presid...

Bomet governor Isaac Ruto has said that President Uhuru Kenyatta could be a one term President if he fails to increase allocations to the counties. Read more...

Submitted by
Mody Sammy
35 year old farmer a new milliona...

A 35 year old farmer from Mpeketoni Lamu county has become the latest millionaire in town as she became winner in the ongoing ‘Shinda Mamili na Story Ibambe’. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Leave your past relationship bagg...

Leave your past relationship baggage at the door when you start a new relationship. Read more...