Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


South Africa pulls 50 troops from Congo following indiscipline

24 September 2015, 18:54

Johannesburg — The South African military is withdrawing about 50 peacekeepers from a United Nations mission in Congo because they violated disciplinary codes, a military spokesman said Thursday.

The violations included leaving a base after curfew, Brig. Gen. Xolani Mabanga said.

The troops were deployed in eastern Congo as part of a unit with a mandate to fight rebel groups there, according to a South African military statement.

The statement said the personnel compromised the security of other South African troops and will face military prosecution. It said they violated not only the South African military conduct codes but also those of U.N. peacekeepers.

South African forces have been involved in peace efforts in Congo over the years. In 2013, South Africa announced it would contribute 1,345 troops to the U.N.'s "intervention brigade" in Congo.

The U.N. force's strengthened mandate to fight rebels was credited with helping the Congolese army oust a rebel group known as M23 from the country's embattled east. U.N. peacekeepers first arrived in Congo in 1999 to observe a cease-fire and the withdrawal of foreign troops.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!

- AP


Gambia announces withdrawal from ICC

26 October 2016, 09:03

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Four wards to elect new MCAs in b...

This follows the death of former office holders between April and August this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Justice Isaac Lenaola appointed a...

He replaces retired Justice Philip Tunoi.

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...