Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Somali militants threaten UK attack

23 October 2012, 16:51

London - Somalia's Islamist Shabaab militia on Monday warned Britain it would "pay the heftiest price" for its "war against Islam" and the extradition of radical cleric Abu Hamza to the United States.

In a series of eleven posts written by Shabaab’s Press Office on its Twitter page, the radical group threatened to inflict on Britain its worst-ever attack.

"The nightmare that surreptitiously looms on British shores is bound to eclipse the horrors of 7/7 and 21/7 combined," said one message.

The London bombings on 7 July 2005, were a series of co-ordinated suicide attacks on the city's public transport which killed 52 civilians and the four bombers.

Two weeks later, four attempted bomb attacks disrupted part of the city's public transport system.

Another message read: "Britain will pay the heftiest price for its brazen role in the war against Islam and endless brutality against innocent Muslims."

The al-Qaeda linked group also vowed to "go to every possible length to attain the freedom of imprisoned Muslim scholars".

Terrorism suspects

A 17 000-strong African Union force, fighting alongside government forces, has in recent months wrested control of a string of Shabaab strongholds including the bastion of Kismayo, a strategic southern port.

Radical preacher Hamza and four other terrorism suspects were extradited to the US earlier this month after a British court rejected their last-ditch attempts to block their removal.

A legal saga that dragged on for more than a decade in the courts of Britain and Europe finally ended when two senior judges at the High Court in London dismissed the men's pleas to be allowed a stay of extradition.

The Shabaab’s messages came as three British Muslim men went on trial on Monday accused of planning a string of bombings that prosecutors said could have been deadlier than the 7/7, 2005 attacks on London.

The three men have all denied the charges.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...