Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Sierra Leone says 300 sick/ dead in Ebola lockdown

24 September 2014, 16:50

Freetown - Sierra Leone said on Wednesday around 100 bodies and 200 patients had been collected from homes during its three-day lockdown to stem the deadly Ebola epidemic raging in west Africa.

Almost six million people across the country were confined indoors for 72 hours from Friday while 28,000 volunteers went door-to-door, giving out advice and identifying new suspected cases and deaths that had been kept from the authorities.

"Over 92 bodies were discovered nationwide during the three-day lockdown of the country," Karamoh Kabbah, the deputy minister for political affairs, told a news conference in the capital Freetown.

He said 77 of the bodies had been collected in the Western Area, a division including the city of 1.2 million and its immediate surroundings.

"Over 200 suspected cases were identified... of which, so far, 130 have been confirmed positive," he added.

The deadliest Ebola epidemic on record has infected almost 6,000 people in west Africa and killed nearly half of them, according to the World Health Organization's latest figures.

The fever the virus causes can fell its victims within days, causing severe muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhoea and -- in many cases -- unstoppable internal and external bleeding.

Read also: WHO: Ebola vaccine could be ready by year-end

In Sierra Leone, Ebola has infected 1,813 people, killing 593.

Kabbah confirmed an earlier estimate that the door-to-door teams had managed to get to around 80 percent of households in a country where a large proportion of the population live in remote and sometimes inaccessible villages.

But he said the exercise had raised concerns over the methods used by security forces in enforcing quarantines, without going into detail.

Health Minister Abubakarr Fofanah said not all the bodies collected had been confirmed as Ebola victims.

"Even prior to the outbreak, people were dying from tuberculosis, malaria, hypertension and even as a result of old age," he said.

"While government does not intend to massage the figures of death caused by Ebola, it is also mindful of the fact that there are many other causes of death in the country."

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...