Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Sierra Leone Ebola lockdown found at least 200 infected, dead: govt

22 September 2014, 19:02

Freetown -Sierra Leone's controversial Ebola lockdown has uncovered some 150 new cases of the deadly virus in addition to around 70 bodies previously unaccounted for, according to the authorities, who said they may repeat the campaign.

Most of the west African country's six million people were confined to their homes for 72 hours from Friday, as 30,000 volunteers went from door to door to educate residents on preventing the spread of the deadly epidemic.

"We have an overflow of bodies which we still need to bury but this has been an everyday occurence since the Ebola outbreak. Now at least we have about 150 new cases," Steven Gaojia, head of the country's emergency operation centre, said late Sunday.

Also Read: Sierra Leone 3-day Ebola shutdown ends

The country's chief medical officer earlier said up to 70 bodies had been uncovered, but these were in and around the capital, and results for the whole country are likely to push up the figures significantly.

Health Minister Abubakarr Fofanah told AFP volunteers had managed to reach around 80 percent of homes, deeming the action a success.

"We have learnt a lot from the campaign. Although this campaign has ended, there is a possibility we would have a similar one some other time," he said.

"I cannot as of now give you statistics about the total corpses collected during the three-day period as we are now awaiting returns from other parts of the country and this will be made known as soon as the full report is compiled."

Fofanah said one of the successes of the action was to cut down on "night burials"  funeral services held within families trying to conceal the fact that there had been an Ebola patient in the household.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...