Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


S Sudan peace talks break as crisis worsens

02 April 2014, 17:50

Addis Ababa - Peace talks aimed at ending over three months of civil war in South Sudan have been paused until the end of April, rebels said on Wednesday, despite UN warnings that millions of lives are at risk.

There has been little progress after weeks of talks in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa. A third round which started late last month was largely reduced to squabbling in luxury hotels over who could attend the negotiations.

Violence erupted in South Sudan on 15 December between forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and fighters loosely allied to former vice president Riek Machar.

Over a million people have been forced from their homes since the conflict began, and the United Nations has warned that conditions continue to deteriorate.

Hussein Mar, a delegate for the rebels loyal to Machar, said the two sides had made some progress on outlining the agenda for talks.

But even on this limited point, they had failed to sign a formal agreement due to government objections to members of the negotiation team, including powerful former ministers initially jailed and accused of sparking the violence.

The talks, which have already been repeatedly delayed, are now due to resume on April 30, Mar said.

Severe risk

A ceasefire between government and rebels inked in January is in tatters with fighting ongoing.

Last month the European Union and United States threatened sanctions for both sides if they failed to progress with peace talks and stick to the ceasefire deal.

On Tuesday, UN World Food Programme (WFP) boss Ertharin Cousin, at the end of a visit to South Sudan along with the UN refugee agency chief Antonio Guterres, warned that "lives are at stake".

"The crisis in South Sudan could endanger millions of lives in the coming months if urgent action is not taken to put an end to the conflict," the UN said in a statement after the aid chiefs' visit.

Oxfam on Wednesday warned that people were at "severe risk" and appealed to negotiating teams to "reach a swift and peaceful resolution" to the war.

Over 67 000 civilians are still sheltering in over-burdened UN peacekeeping bases fearing revenge attacks, as heavy rains exacerbate the increasingly squalid conditions.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...