S Sudan denies role in mortar attack
09 October 2012, 14:08
Johannesburg/Juba - South Sudan denied involvement in a mortar attack on Monday that killed a woman in southern Sudan.
According to reports, several shells fell in Kadugli, the capital of South Kordofan state, which sits along the two countries' shared border.
Sudan accuses South Sudan of backing the SPLM-N rebels hostile to Khartoum, and said the group was responsible for the attack.
Malaak Ayuen, a spokesperson for the South Sudan army, said his country had no involvement in fighting north of its border and accused Khartoum of aiding rebels who are launching attacks against Juba's interests.
Rebel groups on both sides of the border have continued to fight, even after South Sudan split from Sudan in July last year.