Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Rights group: No justice in CAR

08 April 2014, 17:11

New York - An official from a leading human rights group said on Monday he showed enlarged photos of a Muslim man being stabbed and stomped to death by soldiers in the Central African Republic's capital to top government officials last month and asked what was being done to bring the perpetrators to justice.

Philippe Bolopion, the United Nations director for Human Rights Watch who recently returned from the conflict-torn country, told a group of journalists that the chief prosecutor told him he had the names of those responsible, "but nobody will arrest them, and in fact when we arrest people, they very easily escape."

Bolopion said the minister of public security added that he knows where the men are hiding but his police can't go into the neighbourhoods, which are controlled by Christian anti-Balaka fighters, because they don't have weapons or cars, and if they go "they'll get slaughtered."

The horrific attack on 5 February, witnessed by Associated Press journalists, showed the degree of hatred and savagery to which the impoverished country has fallen, and demonstrated the difficulty faced by the international community, which has sent 2 000 French troops and more than 5 000 Africans to try to stabilise the situation.

The attack took place minutes after the transitional president left a celebration of the army's return to the capital, Bangui, and told hundreds of soldiers she was proud of them and called on them to bring order to their anarchic country.

Central African Republic has been in chaos since a March 2013 coup, when mostly Muslim Seleka rebels seized power and launched a brutal regime.

Muslims facing attacks

Anti-Balaka militiamen attacked Seleka strongholds in Bangui on 5 December 2013, and as the rebel government crumbled in January the anti-Balaka stepped up the violence, forcing thousands of Muslims to flee.

Bolopion said the attack on the Muslim man suspected of links to Seleka was just one example of the many crimes committed. But he said the fact that the perpetrators are still free in a case where all the evidence is available "is extremely detrimental to the image of the country" and demonstrates the impunity there.

Bolopion said he suggested to the minister of public security that he ask the French and African forces to help with the arrests.

He also visited the remaining neighbourhoods in Bangui where thousands of Muslims have sought refuge and are still facing attacks from anti-Balaka forces.

Bolopion called on the French and African forces "to do whatever is in their power" to help Muslims who want to leave travel to a safe area where they can be protected.

The UN Security Council is expected to approve a resolution later this week authorizing a nearly 12 000-strong UN peacekeeping mission to take over from the African force on 15 September.

Bolopion said the UN mission should have extensive powers to build police and security forces and a judicial and prison system.

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM beats Jubilee in 3 by-electio...

ODM dominates Jubilee Party in by elections.

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Kenyan ivory seized in Vietnam

Vietnamese authorities have seized 1 tonne of ivory smuggled from Kenya, the fifth such seizure in the past month. Read more...

Submitted by
Cyril Mike Odhiz
Kenyans furious on young lady aft...

A young Kenyan woman is the talk of town after she posted a photo with her elderly lover after a round of steamy sex, or so the photo suggested.  Read more...

Submitted by
Kiplangat langat
Uhuru could be a one term Presid...

Bomet governor Isaac Ruto has said that President Uhuru Kenyatta could be a one term President if he fails to increase allocations to the counties. Read more...

Submitted by
Mody Sammy
35 year old farmer a new milliona...

A 35 year old farmer from Mpeketoni Lamu county has become the latest millionaire in town as she became winner in the ongoing ‘Shinda Mamili na Story Ibambe’. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Leave your past relationship bagg...

Leave your past relationship baggage at the door when you start a new relationship. Read more...