Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Prosecutor appeals Mubarak trial verdicts

02 August 2012, 10:56

Cairo - Egypt's prosecutor general appealed on Wednesday against the outcome of the trial of Hosni Mubarak and several of his senior officials over deaths in the uprising that unseated the veteran strongman.

The prosecutor called for the 2 June verdicts to be annulled and for a new trial to be held.

It was not immediately clear on what grounds the appeal was made.

Prosecutor General Abdel Meguid Mahmud said a day after Mubarak and former interior minister Habib al-Adly were sentenced to life in prison and six senior police officials acquitted, that he would lodge an appeal.

The verdicts, particularly against the police officials, set off a wave of protests by people who said they were too lenient.

Judge Ahmed Refaat convicted Mubarak and Adly for their roles in the deaths of more than 800 protesters during the revolt that ousted them in February last year but failed to punish any of those who actually conducted the killings.

Corruption charges against Mubarak's sons, Alaa and Gamal, were also dropped because of the expiry of a statute of limitations, and the ex-president was acquitted in one of the graft cases.

But Alaa and Gamal remain in custody because they are awaiting trial in another case.

At the time, a senior member of Mubarak's defence team told AFP the 84-year-old would himself appeal the verdict.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...