Polls: Accept results, Conde tells party leaders
02 October 2013, 15:28
Conakry - Guinean President Alpha Conde on Wednesday urged
party leaders to accept the results of 28 September legislative polls, as the
first nationwide figures were expected.
He praised the vote as the dawn of democracy in the
chronically unstable west African nation.
But the opposition has already complained of rigging during
the election, which was meant to turn the page on a protracted transitional period.
"I would like to say how proud I am... of your amazing
mobilisation to make these legislative polls a real success," Conde said
in a speech marking the 55th anniversary of Guinea's independence from France.
The election "has allowed us to take another step on
the path to democracy," the 75-year-old leader said.
Conde became Guinea's first democratically-elected president
in 2010 but the country has since remained crippled by political deadlock,
ethnic rivalries and recurring rumours of coup plots.
"I urge all political party leaders to follow the
example of the people and acknowledge with the same maturity the results of the
legislative vote," he said at independence celebrations held in the
southeastern town of N'Zerekore.
Guinea's electoral commission on Tuesday released some
partial and provisional results. Full provisional results had been due on
Wednesday, but officials said tally sheets were still being transported from
polling stations on Tuesday.
The last parliamentary elections in Guinea took place in
June 2002 during the dictatorship of Lansana Conte, who died in December 2008
after 24 years in power.
Police and military reinforcements were visible Wednesday on
the streets of Conakry, where security forces have repeatedly cracked down on opposition
protests in recent months.