Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Peace talks in trouble, says DRC's M23

02 May 2013, 10:09

Kampala - The Congolese rebel movement M23 has suspended peace talks with Democratic republic of Congo's government, a rebel spokesperson said on Wednesday, increasing fears of renewed violence in the country's troubled east.

The rebels say it is meaningless to negotiate peace when the United Nations is about to deploy a brigade authorised to attack them in eastern DRC, said Rene Abandi, leader of the M23 delegation that was meeting with the Congolese government in neighbouring Uganda.

"For us, as M23, there is a break from the talks," said Abandi, speaking by phone from Bunagana, an M23 stronghold in eastern Congo. "We will hope that the government [of DRC] will understand later that war can't solve the conflict in eastern DRC."

M23, the most prominent rebel group operating in eastern DRC, is made up of hundreds of soldiers who deserted the Congolese army last year, accusing the Kinshasa government of failing to honour the terms of a peace deal signed on March 23 2009.

Since December representatives of the rebels and the DRC government have been meeting in the Ugandan capital, Kampala, for on-off peace talks mediated by Uganda under the banner of a regional bloc.

The rebels, widely believed to be backed by Rwanda, last November seized the provincial capital of Goma as the UN peacekeepers stood by. That event prompted the international community to act toward the creation of a unit of peacekeepers with an enhanced mandate.

The UN Security Council recently renewed the mandate of Monusco, the UN peacekeeping mission in DRC, for one year but also authorized the creation of a special unit expected to be deployed before July.

Following the UN resolution, the Congolese government asked the rebels to dismantle their movement or risk being the target of the UN brigade.

M23 now says the deployment of such a force could mean a return to full-blown war.

"They are coming with an offensive mandate. That's not good," Abandi said.

Tanzania and South Africa, two African countries that will contribute to the planned new brigade, have received threats from M23, which insists its fighters will defend themselves against any attacks.

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Kenyans demand action after femal...

This comes a few days after a female passenger was drugged and then robbed in a matatu plying the Kenyatta – Kencom route. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Natural aphrodisiacs to boost lib...

It is advisable to take them before sex in order to achieve maximum benefit. Read more...

Submitted by
Man defiles girlfriend’s daughter

The two-year-old girl sustained serious injuries due to the forceful penetration. Read more...

Submitted by
Bernard Lugagah
How your birth order affects your...

Mismatched birth orders may be the simple reason you and your significant other don’t seem to get along.  Read more...

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
Raila has lost his remaining bull...

He added that Jubilee and Cord are like day and night. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Changamwe OCPD collapses, dies in...

He had complained of some pain in his body around 11am. Read more...