Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


No news on over 200 abducted girls – Nigerian army

18 March 2015, 14:10

Abuja - The Nigerian military, battling insurgency in the northeast, has had no news of more than 200 girls abducted 11 months ago by Boko Haram Islamists, the army chief said on Tuesday.

Responding to a question from reporters on the fate of the missing 219 schoolgirls, Lieutenant General Kenneth Minimah said "no news for now".

"In all the liberated areas we have also made enquiries," but when the Boko Haram fighters flee they take their dependants with them, he told reporters after a security council meeting.

"Those we have come in contact with have not made any comment suggesting that the Chibok girls were there and were taken away," he added.

Nevertheless Minimah said he remained optimistic that details of the girls' whereabouts would become known as the size of the territory under Boko Haram control continues to shrink.

International condemnation

Boko Haram insurgents abducted a total of 276 school girls from Chibok, in north-eastern Borno state, in April 2014.

Fifty-seven of the girls managed to escape while the 219 are still being held by Boko Haram.

Their abduction triggered international condemnation and outcry.

Also read: One of the girls abducted by Boko Haram in Nigeria freed

Critics have accused the government of not doing enough to ensure the rescue of the girls. A top military officer said last year that they knew where they were being held.

Minimah confirmed that Yobe and Adamawa states "have been liberated completely" from the control of Boko Haram.

In Borno state, only three local governments - Abadam, Gwoza and Kala-Balge - are still under the countrol of Boko Haram, the army chief said.

Final onslaught

Nigeria has begun the "final onslaught" against Boko Haram, the country's national security spokesperson said on Tuesday in London.

On a visit to London, Mike Omeri told AFP that "significant strategic military successes and gains" had been made against the Islamists in recent weeks.

Omeri had announced in Abuja last week that 36 towns had been recaptured from Boko Haram.

Troops on Monday recaptured Bama, Borno's second main city, the military claimed.

The insurgency has left more than 13 000 people dead since 2009 and forced some 1.5 million others to flee their homes.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Peter Kenneth will not run for Pr...

He clarified that he will not run for Presidency in 2017 as he supports Uhuru Kenyatta’s re-election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Exams should not have political g...

He also said that school properties must not ‘carry any political portraits’. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Matatu crew drugs female passenge...

Hours after the story was circulated on social media Sunday, the crew was traced at Dagoretti and arrested. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
How to get rid of cellulite at ho...

Proper diets and a healthy lifestyle are among the most effective natural remedies for cellulite. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Peter Kenneth is not a good leade...

A local activist has slammed the former Presidential candidate Peter Kenneth for only appearing during elections but going underground when the country has problems.  Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Javelin champion Julius Yego invo...

He is undergoing treatment at the Medihill hospital in Eldoret. Read more...