Nigerian military says 40 militants killed
16 October 2013, 10:23
Kano - The Nigerian military has killed 40 Boko Haram
insurgents in the Bama, Gwoza and Pulka areas in Borno state, a statement from
an army spokesperson said on Tuesday.
The spokesperson, Captain Aliyu Danja, said militants
attacked the three areas on Sunday night and the military responded, killing
the 40 insurgents. Several others escaped with gunshot wounds, Danja said.
The state of emergency declared in Borno state in May and
the suspension of telephone services makes it difficult to verify or get
first-hand information from the area.
Reports typically arrive two or three days after events and
quote either military statements or eye-witness accounts by people who escaped
to other locations.
Insurgent leader Abu Shekau, who had been declared dead by
military authorities, recently warned of more attacks on civilian populations.
A resident of Maiduguri told dpa that the Boko Haram now
target the Kanuri and Beriberi people of the town who are co-operating with the
government to reveal their hideouts.
The resident said the last raid was on Beni Sheik, located
less than an hour from Maiduguri. Insurgents were active for than more four
hours without hindrances from the joint task force or any other security
forces, he said.