Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Nigeria village hit by Boko Haram targeted again

24 February 2014, 11:40

Kano - Suspected Boko Haram gunmen on Sunday returned to a village in northeast Nigeria where 106 people were killed last week, torching homes, shooting and setting off explosives, a local official said.

The latest attack in Izghe, Borno state, happened at about 01:00 and forced residents who had returned to the village after the 15 February deadly strike to flee again.

Maina Ularamu, the chairman of the Madagali local government area in neighbouring Adamawa state, told AFP that "nothing remains but burnt ruins".

Izghe is in Gwoza district of Borno but its residents have closer ties with Madagali due to its proximity and ethnic allegiances.

There was no immediate comment from the Borno state police or the military when contacted by AFP.

Ularamu said one person was injured in the attack. Elderly residents who had stayed in the village had now also left, he added.

"The elderly who remained in the town, vowing not to leave their roots, had no option but to move to Madagali because the whole town has been burnt and everything looted," he said.

At least 10 000 residents from Izghe and neighbouring villages fled to Madagali in the wake of last week's attack, heaping pressure on neighbouring towns and cities.

Deadly insurgency

"We are facing a humanitarian situation in Madagali because the displaced persons are in dire need of basic supplies which we don't have the capacity to meet," said Ularamu.

The 15 February raid in the mostly Christian village saw suspected Boko Haram fighters, who arrived in trucks and wearing military uniform, go door-to-door looking for those hiding in their houses.

The attack - and others in the northeast blamed on the Islamist group over the last week - sparked condemnation from the United States and United Nations, among others.

The governor of Borno even claimed the militants were better equipped than the military, prompting strong denials from the government.

Boko Haram has been waging a deadly insurgency in northern Nigeria since 2009. The banned group, deemed an international terrorist organisation by Washington, wants to create an Islamic state.

Nigeria's government imposed a state of emergency in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in May last year.

The military offensive has pushed Boko Haram out of towns and cities but attacks continue in more remote, rural areas.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...