Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Nigeria revises downward number of missing girls

29 May 2014, 10:12

Maiduguri - Authorities in northeast Nigeria on Wednesday revised downward by four the number of schoolgirls held captive by Boko Haram, denying media reports that the hostages had escaped from the Islamists in recent days.

A source at the government in north-eastern Borno state who requested anonymity said the number of girls who are currently missing was now 219, not 223 as previously reported by most media.

Police in Borno said 276 girls were kidnapped by the Islamists on 14 April from a secondary school in the town of Chibok.

Authorities had said that 53 of the hostages had escaped in the first days following the attack.

But, following closer investigation, it emerged that in fact 57 had run to freedom shortly after the attack but that the parents of four girls had neglected to inform officials that their children had safely returned, according to the source.

Conflicting reports

Borno's education commissioner, the point man on the hostage crisis, revealed the revised figures to members of a presidential committee when the panel visited the state capital Maiduguri last week, the source added.

The commissioner "was furious with the parents for keeping the government in the dark", about the fact their children were among those who had escaped, the source added.

Nigeria's remote northeast has a poor mobile phone network and shoddy roads, hampering communication in an area hit hard by Boko Haram's deadly five-year uprising.

Some local media on Wednesday reported that the girls had escaped in recent days or had perhaps been released by the Islamists after falling ill.

Calculating the number of girls taken in the attack has been hampered from the outset by conflicting reports from parents, officials and the security forces.

Days after the attack, the military said all but eight girls had been freed, a claim that was swiftly retracted.

Some parents in Chibok have insisted that more than 300 girls were taken, but in recent weeks most media have reported the figures provided by police in Borno, which have the backing of the state government.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
China to help Kenya fight high le...

China observed that if left unchecked, corruption could see the country degenerate into lawlessness. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Signs that he is seeing someone e...

When a man wants to be with you, he will always create time to be with you. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Spat between DP Ruto and Boniface...

A close associate of the DP, Hon Njogu Barua made an alarming comment on live TV Tuesday morning. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Matatu driver who drugged, robbed...

The driver of a Nissan matatu who over the weekend drugged and robbed a female passenger in Nairobi has been charged. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Heavy police contingent deployed ...

More police officers were on Monday deployed at Likoni in Mombasa County in a security operation to nab members of the ‘Wakali Kwanza’ and ‘Mtalia’ criminal gangs who have been terrorizing locals in the area. Read more...