Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.

 

Nigeria 'open to talks with Boko Haram'

08 March 2012, 08:35

Nigeria - Nigeria is open to eventual dialogue with resurgent Islamist group Boko Haram, which has been blamed on numerous violent attacks, the information minister said on Wednesday.

Labaran Maku said the government was appalled by Boko Haram's methods, which he called "pure terror", but said dialogue was important.

"If there is an opportunity to speak, if there are elements for example in this terror group that now see the need to renounce violence and engage in dialogue, [the] government has never been averse," Maku said.

Boko Haram was formed in 2004 and initially claimed to be fighting for the creation of an Islamic state in Nigeria's mainly Muslim north, but since then demands have varied.

The group was blamed for an increasing number of attacks in 2010 that saw a series of assassinations. Bomb blasts, including suicide attacks, have since become almost daily occurrences and are increasingly deadly.

In September, President Goodluck Jonathan, recommended dialogue with the group on condition it laid down its arms. Boko Haram declined.

Jonathan in January said Boko Haram should clarify its demands for an eventual dialogue, though that request was again rejected.

The sect has over the past two and a half years targeted mostly the police and other symbols of authority in Africa's most populous nation and recently added churches on its list of targets.

Although its specific aims remain unclear, violence by the sect since mid-2009 has claimed more than 1 000 lives, including more than 300 this year alone, according to AFP and rights groups.

-AFP

Join in the conversation on News24 Kenya’s Facebook page.

Get the latest news by following us on Twitter


- AFP

NEXT ON NEWS24 KENYAX

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
1 comment
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
William Korir
CORD goes on full offensive at Ju...

Here is the full CORD parliamentary group statement where the coalition has called for steep changes to the security outlook in the country. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mwangi leads CORD referendum team

Lawyer Paul Mwangi has been named as the leader of a team of experts which will oversee the setting up of a referendum by the CORD coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Sonko calls for end to NSSF wars

Nairobi Senator Gideon Mbuvi 'Sonko' has called on Labour cabinet secretary Kazungu Kambi and COTU boss Francis Atwoli to end turf wars at NSSF. Read more...

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
Kelele Takatifu: You reap what yo...

The wait is finally over! Kelele Takatifu are finally back with yet another gospel hit in the form of “Mavuno”.  Read more...

Submitted by
Arap Yego
MP lauds directive to release KCS...

Mt Elgon MP, John Serut has lauded the directive by the state compelling secondary school heads to release Form Four certificates they are holding over fee arrears, and asked head teachers from his region to immediately comply with the move. Read more...