Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Nato 'must probe, pay for errors in Libya'

19 March 2012, 14:43

Tripoli - Nato must investigate the killing of dozens of civilians during its air campaign in Libya last year and provide reparations to the people affected, Amnesty International said on Monday.

"Adequate investigations must be carried out and full reparation provided to victims and their families," said the rights group in a statement released one year after the first strike sorties were carried out by the alliance in Libya.

The organisation said it has documented 55 cases of named civilians, including 16 children and 14 women, killed in air strikes in the capital Tripoli, Zliten, Majer, Sirte and Brega.

Nato attacks, which played a key role in helping rebels to bring down dictator Muammar Gaddafi, left a deep rift in the UN Security Council.

Russia, China, South Africa and India all say Nato's tactics breached UN resolutions. The United States, Britain, France and Germany insist their actions were legal and life-saving.

Amnesty International acknowledged that "significant efforts" were made by Nato to avoid civilian casualties, but faulted its failure to investigate strikes that killed innocent people.

"Victims and relatives of those killed by Nato air strikes remain in the dark about what happened and who was responsible," said Donatella Rovera, senior crisis response adviser at Amnesty.

The rights group urged Nato to carry out investigations to determine whether civilian casualties stemmed from a breach of international law, and if so to bring those responsible to justice.

"Many of the deaths occurred as a result of air strikes on private homes," where there was no evidence to indicate that the homes had been used for military purposes at the time of the attack, it said.

Neither Nato nor the Libyan authorities have reached out to the victims, the rights group said in a briefing paper based on interviews it conducted in January and February.



Tags libya

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Prepare for DP Ruto fight in 2022...

An MP has warned that the Kalenjin Community will not stand back and watch as DP Ruto is duped ahead of the 2022 polls. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be careful who you deal with, DP ...

Watch out for your political future, DP William Ruto has been warned. Read more...