Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Museveni's son refutes plan to succeed father

24 June 2013, 14:07

Kampala -The son of Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni has said he has no current plan to succeed his father, refuting weeks of opposition accusations he was preparing to take over power.

"Uganda is not a monarchy where leadership is passed on from father to son," said Muhoozi Kainerugaba, 39, son of the president and commander of a special forces unit, in a statement late Sunday.

Last month police shut the two main independent newspapers and two radio stations for 10 days after they reported arguments among army generals over whether the president's son was to succeed him.

"The power to choose how Uganda is governed lies with Ugandans and not a single individual as some people would want us to believe," said Kainerugaba's statement, released by the army's special forces spokesman Edson Kwesiga.

Newspapers in early May printed a leaked confidential memo by a senior general, David Sejusa, alleging that Museveni -- in power since 1986 -- was grooming Kainerugaba to succeed him.

Sejusa, also known as Tinyefuza, who has since fled to Britain, said there were plots to assassinate those opposed to the plan, but that claim was criticised by other generals.

Kainerugaba, a brigadier who now commands Uganda's special forces, has recently enjoyed rapid promotion through the ranks, although Museveni has made no mention of plans for him to succeed him.

Kwesiga said the president's son "issued the statement to clarify claims by a section of the opposition that there are plans to make him take over... he has not declared his ambitions."

Uganda is due to hold presidential elections in 2016 but it is not clear if Museveni -- an army general himself who rose to power as guerrilla commander -- plans to run again.

Join in the conversation on our Facebook page. Also get the latest news by following us on Twitter.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...