Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Mozambique cops reject rebel claims

14 August 2013, 15:02

Maputo - Mozambique police on Wednesday dismissed claims by former rebels Renamo that they had killed 36 soldiers and police, admitting to only one death from the weekend clashes.

"In reality, we had one light injury in the FADM [Mozambican Armed Defence Forces] and a colleague gravely wounded who lost his life on the way to the hospital," national police spokesperson, Pedro Cossa, told state-run Radio Mozambique.

The rebel-group-turned-opposition-party Renamo claimed in a statement on Tuesday that its fighters had killed 36 security forces in a fresh outbreak of violence.

It said the killings had occurred in two separate clashes in the central province of Sofala, a region where unrest flared earlier this year, more than two decades after the end of a brutal civil war in the southern African country.

Police said there was an exchange of gunfire between one of its mobile patrol teams and armed men.

Tension have been simmering between the former warring parties which signed a peace deal in 1992 following 16 years of civil war shortly after independence from Portugal.

But observers say Renamo could be upping military tensions as a tactic to pile pressure on the Frelimo-led government amid political negotiations to resolve differences between the former civil war foes.

Government and Renamo negotiators are due to resume talks in the capital, Maputo on Wednesday.

The unscheduled round of talks is a further bid to unblock the stalled negotiations after Monday's peace talks ended without a deal.

Renamo has threatened to boycott November local government elections unless sweeping changes to the electoral law are made.

As well as an overhaul of the electoral system, the party wants more representation in the armed forces and a cut of revenues from Mozambique's fast-growing coal and gas industries.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...