Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Mozambique army attacks former rebel camp

08 July 2013, 12:17

Maputo - Mozambique's armed forces have attacked a camp of former rebels in the centre of the country where "bandits" terrorised civilians on the road last month, state media said on Sunday.

The army broke up the base of about 50 huts close to the country's main north-south highway early on Saturday, according to state-run Radio Mozambique.

"We evicted some bandits camped in the area," provincial police commander Joaquim Nido told the radio station.

Official opposition and ex-rebel movement Renamo earlier claimed it had repelled government attacks on its camp near the town Muxungue late on Friday and early on Saturday.

Authorities claimed there were no casualties, but Renamo said it had killed government soldiers and independent newspaper A Verdade also reported an unknown number of deaths citing unnamed sources.

Return to violence

Provincial commander Nido said gunmen from the camp killed two civilians in attacks on vehicles travelling along the highway on 21 June.

At the time of those attacks Renamo denied responsibility, though it had warned two days earlier it would block the road.

Simmering tensions between Renamo and the Frelimo-led government erupted in violent clashes again in April - over two decades after a bloody civil war ended.

Renamo demands more representation in the armed forces and changes to the electoral law.

Several rounds of talks have failed.

Renamo leader Afonso Dhlakama said this week he was willing to meet with President Armando Guebuza if government forces withdrew from the former rebels' base.

Soldiers had surrounded the camp in Sofala province's remote Gorongosa Mountains after the 21 June attacks.

Renamo has periodically threatened a return to violence after the end of the civil war, but only began acting on its threats since Dhlakama reopened his base in October 2012.

Commentators doubt the movement, previously supported by the apartheid government of neighbouring South Africa, has the resources to relaunch full-scale hostilities.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
WATCH: Kaka Sungura arrested in t...

Was Kaka Sungura arrested in town?

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Confused Jubilee afraid of me, Ki...

The Jubilee Party is afraid of me, Evans Kidero says. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Sonko ready for Peter Kenneth bat...

Nairobi Senator Mike Mbuvi Sonko says that he is ready to take on Peter Kenneth in Nairobi Gubernatorial nominations come 2017. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Uhuru wants change in Constitutio...

The Jubilee Coalition is planning to change the Constitution and add President Uhuru Kenyatta another term, Kalonzo Musyoka claims. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
CORD to stop Jubilee efforts to r...

The CORD Coalition will not allow plans to remove Kenya from the Rome Statutes take place, it has said. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
How long will it take Kenya to le...

Kenya is looking to leave the ICC. But what is the process behind the exit? Read more...