Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Mozambican leader alive after convoy attack

13 September 2015, 19:39

Maputo - Mozambique's opposition leader Afonso Dhlakama escaped unhurt when his convoy was hit by gunfire while returning from a rally in the central Manica province in what police said was crossfire.

Police said the bullets that struck three cars in his convoy were not aimed at the former rebel Renamo commander's convoy but targeted a motorist who had refused to stop at a road block.

"Police ordered a car (not linked to the Renamo convoy] to stop for a routine check. But the car didn't stop, so the police opened fire," Manica province police inspector Manuel Loureno told AFP.

"However, as the Renamo convoy was passing by they received some bullets," said Lourenco.

But Dhlakama believes the attack was deliberately targeted at him.

"This was a planned attack," Dhlakama declared at a press conference held in Chimoio a few hours later, according to local media.

He said Mozambique's ruling party "Frelimo is behind it."

Police refused to give further details of the attack.

Dhlakama's car was not hit, but three of those that were following his were struck, leaving three wounded, according a local journalist who witnessed the attack.

Renamo waged a 16-year civil war against the formerly marxist Frelimo government. That conflict ended in 1992 after an estimated one million people had been killed.

After a 20-year hiatus, Renamo supporters began a low-level insurgency in late 2013, attacking buses and cars on the main north-south highway after government forces raided Dhlakama's bush hide out.

A deal was reached last year to end that second, less bloody, conflict.

Despite the September 2014 ceasefire, low key skirmishes between Renamo and the military have resumed in recent months in the central coal-rich Tete province, forcing some people to flee to neighbouring Malawi, according to local reports.



Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...