Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Moz govt blames opposition for deadly raid

18 June 2013, 17:01

Maputo - Mozambique's government on Tuesday blamed opposition party Renamo for an attack a day earlier on a military arms depot that killed at least five soldiers amid faltering peace talks between the two parties.

"We were surprised by the tragic news that Renamo unleashed an armed attack," said Jose Pacheco, the ruling Frelimo's chief negotiator with Renamo.

Talks were set up after military skirmishes in April.

"We condemn this attack and warn that this attitude does not help democracy," Pacheco, who is also agriculture minister, was quoted as saying by Radio Mozambique.

Five soldiers died and two were wounded in an attack on an arms depot near the coastal city of Beira early Monday morning, according to state media.

"We received five bodies. They were the victims of shooting," Beira Central Hospital spokesperson Orlando Jamal told Radio Mozambique.

He confirmed two more soldiers were wounded in the attack, one of them seriously.

Other reports suggested six deaths, but officials weren't immediately available to confirm the casualties.

The attack occurred at the start of new talks between the two former civil war foes and amid Renamo's renewed militarisation.

Six previous rounds of talks have failed to yield a breakthrough on any of the major issues on the table, including Renamo's threat to boycott upcoming polls if the election law isn't amended.

Strong resemblance to raids

Relations between the parties have been tense since the end of a 16-year civil war in 1992.

But Renamo lawmakers appeared to have been caught off guard by the news.

"I have no knowledge of this attack," the party's head negotiator, Saimone Macuiana, said Monday.

The attackers made off with an unspecified number of weapons from the military arsenal according to wounded soldiers interviewed by independent local television STV.

The attack bears a strong resemblance to raids carried out by Renamo rebels during Mozambique's civil war on government armouries.

The raid briefly shut down the crucial Sena railway line, which transports coal from mines in the northwest to Beira port.

"Yesterday all trains using the Sena line received instructions to interrupt their circulation at 07:30 and to restart at 14:00," Acucena Paul, spokesperson for Brazilian miner Vale, told AFP.

British-Australian Rio Tinto also uses the line to export coal from its operations in Tete province.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...