Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Moroccan journo ready to replace banned site

20 February 2014, 20:03

Rabat - A prominent Moroccan editor known for his taboo-breaking coverage said on Wednesday he is ready to start another news website to replace the one blocked by authorities.

Ali Anouzla, who was charged with advocating terrorism and abetting terrorists after his Lakome.com news website wrote about an al-Qaida video criticizing Morocco and its king, has kept a low profile since being freed on bail in October following a month in prison.

The charges against him carry up to a 20 year jail sentence and the trial is ongoing, with the next session set for 20 May. As part of his bail agreement the authorities blocked his website, but he has since asked them to have it restored.

"I am out on bail but that doesn't mean I can't practice my profession as a journalist," he said, explaining that if after a few weeks there was no response, he would launch Lakome 2. "If we launch a new site with a similar name and they block it, it will show the establishment's willingness for a free press."

Anouzla is known for his secular outlook, and many see the supporting terrorism charges as punishment for his past criticism of King Mohammed VI. In the media conference he condemned journalist and insisted on his support for freedom, tolerance and human rights.

Morocco, a popular tourist destination, is generally considered more stable and open than its North African neighbours, but it still ranks low on media freedom indexes.

However, in the past few years there has been an explosion in online journalism, with Anouzla's Lakome site leading the way.

Last year alone Anouzla's website broke the story of the king's accidental pardon of a convicted Spanish child molester, criticised the king's frequent trips to France, and broke with the official position on human rights monitoring in the annexed Western Sahara.

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...