Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Moroccan held over al-Qaeda video

17 September 2013, 16:13

Rabat - Moroccan police on Tuesday arrested the editor of a popular news website for airing a video posted by al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb that incites "acts of terrorism" in the kingdom.

Lakome's director Ali Anouzla was arrested mid-morning, according to staff running the popular French and Arabic website, with police also seizing computer equipment from his office.

The arrest follows the publication by Lakome of "a video attributed to al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (Aqim), containing a clear call and a direct incitement to commit acts of terrorism" in Morocco, the public prosecutor said in a statement.

"Appropriate legal procedures will be applied in light of the investigation," the prosecutor added.

The video in question, posted on the Internet last Thursday by Aqim and entitled 'Morocco: the kingdom of corruption and despotism,' calls for jihad in the north African country and lashes out at King Mohamed VI, who is pictured being engulfed in flames.

It is thought to be the first of its kind singling out Morocco since Aqim, the jihadist network's north African franchise, was formed in 2007.

The YouTube version of the video was removed for breaching the site's policy on violence.

Its publication by Lakome had already drawn sharp criticism from Morocco's mostly pro-regime media.

French-language daily L'Opinion called the decision "totally reprehensible," saying that by airing a video message defending terrorism Lakome "guarantees that it receives the widest possible audience."

Morocco has suffered a number of attacks by Islamist militants over the past decade, the worst of which took place in Casablanca in 2003, when 12 suicide bombers blew themselves up killing 33 people.

The authorities frequently announce the dismantling of jihadist cells with links to al-Qaeda.

Join in the conversation on our Facebook page. Also get the latest news by following us on Twitter.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
China to help Kenya fight high le...

China observed that if left unchecked, corruption could see the country degenerate into lawlessness. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Signs that he is seeing someone e...

When a man wants to be with you, he will always create time to be with you. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Spat between DP Ruto and Boniface...

A close associate of the DP, Hon Njogu Barua made an alarming comment on live TV Tuesday morning. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Matatu driver who drugged, robbed...

The driver of a Nissan matatu who over the weekend drugged and robbed a female passenger in Nairobi has been charged. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Heavy police contingent deployed ...

More police officers were on Monday deployed at Likoni in Mombasa County in a security operation to nab members of the ‘Wakali Kwanza’ and ‘Mtalia’ criminal gangs who have been terrorizing locals in the area. Read more...