Man who held wife, children captive for 5 years to appear in court
28 May 2014, 15:32
Johannesburg - A Springs man who allegedly held his family captive for years is due to appear in court on Wednesday to apply for bail, after being arrested on charges of attempted murder, child abuse and obstruction of justice.
Sapa reported on Wednesday that the man will appear in the Springs Magistrate's Court, SA.
Beeld reported that the 36-year-old businessman also allegedly assaulted and tortured his wife and his five children between the ages of 2 and 16. The children were not allowed to leave the house and did not attend school.
According to the report, neighbours were not even aware that any children lived in the "house of horrors". A neighbour said she was shocked that she had lived next door to a "monster" for years, adding that the man always looked smart and tidy and wore expensive clothes.
However, an 11-year-old boy escaped from the house last week Monday, fleeing to neighbours, who called the police. They also called the boy's father, who took him back home and allegedly severely assaulted him.
Police officers visited the house the next day, and discovered the other four children and their equally abused mother. The injured boy had been hidden in the ceiling.
A warrant officer told Beeld that the house was dirty and there were rats scurrying about. Their suspicions were raised and they removed the wife and four children, launching a search for the missing boy. In the meantime, the father had taken the boy to a family member in the North West.
Beeld reported that the mother then found the courage to speak out against her sadistic husband, and told police where the boy was. The man was arrested on Friday.
According to the woman, the man repeatedly assaulted and tortured her and the children, including with electric wires and a blowtorch.
She and the children are staying with family members.
AFP reported that the man appeared in court on Monday and will appear again on Wednesday to apply for bail.