Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Mali vows to fight terror after jihadist killings

10 March 2015, 09:49

Bamako - Mali vowed on Monday not to surrender to terror and to punish the jihadists behind a deadly nightclub attack in the capital, as local and French investigators joined forces to hunt the killers.

Bamako has been on high alert since a heavily-armed gunman burst into La Terrasse, a popular venue among expatriates on Saturday and killed five people, including a French national and a Belgian.

A counter-terrorism team arrived from Paris overnight to join the investigation, with the assailant and a suspected accomplice still at large despite a huge manhunt and stepped-up vehicle checks across the capital.

"We are still standing," President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita said in a defiant first public reaction after visiting La Terrasse and eight people wounded in the attack, including two Swiss nationals.

"Those who dared claim this attack will pay dearly," he said, adding that they "have failed and will fail" to spread fear.

Government spokesperson Choguel Maiga echoed him, saying Malians "will not allow themselves to be affected or intimidated by terrorist acts".

He urged the predominantly Tuareg rebellion in the restive north to rubber-stamp a peace agreement signed on 1 March by the government, to bring about "a real basis for the stabilisation of our country."

Al-Murabitoun, a jihadist group run by leading Algerian militant Mokhtar Belmokhtar, claimed responsibility for the attack, which it said was partly to avenge Ahmed el Tilemsi, one of its commanders killed by the French army in Mali in December.

The action was basically prompted by recent cartoons of Prophet Muhammad, "whom the miscreant West insulted and mocked," it said.

The group was referring to cartoons published by Paris satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, which lost 11 staff in a jihadist attack exactly two months before the Bamako massacre.

Repatriation of bodies

Fears over security mounted further on Sunday when a Chadian peacekeeper and two Malian children were killed as militants shelled a UN base in the northeastern rebel stronghold of Kidal.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon also condemned the "intolerable" killings, calling them a "breach of international humanitarian law".

It emerged after the Bamako attack that the Belgian victim, 44-year-old Lieutenant Colonel Ronny Piens, had been in charge of security for the European Union delegation in Bamako.

The body of Fabien Guyomard, the 30-year-old Frenchman who died at the nightclub, is due to be repatriated later on Monday.

The anxiety gripping the expatriate community in the aftermath was underlined Sunday by the decision of the French Lycee of Bamako to delay its return from holidays for 48 hours to strengthen security.

Troops and police from Mali and the UN are a permanent fixture in the city of 1.8 million people.

Zakaria Maiga, a Malian friend of Guyomard who survived the attack, said he was "surprised" by the ease with which the assailants - armed with automatic weapons and grenades - were able to get downtown.

‘Cowardly attack’

French President Francois Hollande has led the international outcry, condemning the "cowardly attack" and vowing to meet Keita to offer Paris's help to its former colony.

An anti-terrorist prosecutor from Paris arrived in Bamako late Sunday with 10 French police to "work on Saturday's incident hand-in-hand with their Malian colleagues" airport and security sources told AFP.

The attack was the first to target Westerners in Bamako, although Mali's vast desert north is riven by ethnic rivalries and an Islamist insurgency, and has seen numerous militant attacks on security forces.

Jihadists linked to al-Qaeda controlled an area of desert the size of Texas for more than nine months until a French-led military intervention in 2013 that partly drove them from the region.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...