Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Listen to Boko Haram's demands, Jonathan told

28 May 2014, 12:32

Cape Town – An official in Nigeria’s Chibok village where more than 200 schoolgirls were abducted by Boko Haram insurgents, has reportedly called on the government to listen to the group's demand for imprisoned militants to be freed in exchange for the girls' release.

According to the Voice of America, Zanna Madu, who is the district head of Chibok town, said President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration should negotiate with the Islamist militants to win the girls’ release.

On Sunday, Jonathan ruled out any negotiation to free the girls, saying the captives should be released "unconditionally".

Madu's remarks came as Nigeria's defence Air Marshal Alex Badeh said on Monday that the military knew the girls' location, but would not use force to rescue them as any raid to free them would be fraught with danger.

'We can't go and kill our girls'

According to an AP report Badeh said Nigerian troops could save the girls but "we can't go and kill our girls in the name of trying to get them back".

More than 200 teenagers were abducted from their school in the town Chibok on 14 April. Police say 53 escaped on their own and 276 remain captive.

A Boko Haram video has shown some of the girls reciting Quranic verses in Arabic and two of them explaining why they had converted from Christianity to Islam in captivity.

Unverified reports have indicated two may have died of snake bites, some have been forced to marry their abductors and that some may have been carried across borders into Chad and Cameroon.

- News24


Gambia announces withdrawal from ICC

26 October 2016, 09:03

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Four wards to elect new MCAs in b...

This follows the death of former office holders between April and August this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Justice Isaac Lenaola appointed a...

He replaces retired Justice Philip Tunoi.

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...