Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Libya sets trial date for Gaddafi's son

18 June 2013, 10:29

Tripoli - Saif al-Islam, the son of slain Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi, and other former top regime officials will stand trial in August for crimes committed during the 2011 uprising, an aide to the prosecutor said on Monday.

Former spy chief Abdullah al-Senussi will be among those whose trial will begin in the first half of August, said Al-Seddik al-Sur, a member of the prosecutor's office.

They are accused of "crimes committed against the Libyan people during the revolution" of 2011 that toppled Gaddafi's regime, he said.

Baghdadi al-Mahmudi, the last prime minister to serve under Gaddafi, and Mansur Daw who headed the People's Guard will also be among those to stand trial, he added.

Asked if they will all be in the dock at the same time, Sur said: "This case will not be divided."

"These [former] officials met together to drum up a policy of repression and a common criminal plan, putting them on trial separately would perturbate the proceedings," he said.

Seif al-Islam, 40, is being held by a brigade of former rebel fighters in Zintan, 180km southwest of Tripoli, since his capture in November 2011.

The International Criminal Court based in The Hague, mandated by the UN Security Council to investigate the Libyan conflict, has clashed with Libya's new authorities for the right to prosecute Seif al-Islam.

It has issued arrest warrants for Gaddafi's son and his spy chief, accusing them of crimes against humanity.

Earlier this month Libya said it will appeal to the ICC to reverse its decision to prosecute Saif al-Islam.

Last week the ICC suspended an order requiring Tripoli to hand over Senussi



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...