Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Libya army chief resigns after clash

10 June 2013, 08:11

Libya - Libya's army chief of staff resigned on Sunday as an elite military unit took control of a base of pro-government militias after clashes killed 31 people in the eastern city of Benghazi.

The developments underlined the security chaos in Libya more than a year and a half after long-time dictator Muammar Gaddafi was deposed in a civil war.

The violence broke out on Saturday when protesters stormed a base belonging to Libya Shield, a grouping of militias aligned with the military that were tasked with helping to maintain security. The protesters were demanding that the militias leave their camp and submit to the full authority of Libya's security forces.

It remains unclear which side fired first. Libyan officials have provided few details of the clashes.

Witnesses said some of the protesters brought weapons to the camp, which was the main Benghazi base for Libya Shield militiamen. The militiamen appeared outnumbered by hundreds of protesters outside the gates.

Hospital officials said protesters made up most of the dead. Many were buried Sunday. The officials spoke anonymously as they were not authorized to speak to reporters.

According to the director at the city's Jalaa Hospital Mohamed Belied, the deaths were caused by gunshots and explosive fragments. He said that dozens of people were wounded.

In one immediate result of the violence, Army Chief of Staff Maj. Gen. Youssef al-Mangoush resigned citing the unusually high death toll from the Benghazi clashes.

Military officers had been protesting against al-Mangoush for weeks, accusing him of corruption and of failing to exert authority over militias. Some militias were believed to have favored al-Mangoush remaining in his post, because he had been unable to replace them with a strong unified force.

Benghazi, the birthplace of the revolution that led to the ouster of Gaddafi, was the site of the 11 September assault last year on the US diplomatic mission that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans. High level police officials have also been assassinated and security bases have come under frequent attack there by unidentified assailants.

Militias have taken on greater roles since the fall of Gaddafi, providing border protection and security at airports to fill the vacuum as the central government has been unable to exert control.

The deadly clashes are likely to further enflame anger against militias, which have been accused of acting with impunity and enforcing their own agendas.

While some Libyans see the continued presence of militias as an obstacle to restoring security in the North African state, others believe they are playing a positive role in maintaining law and order while efforts to rebuild a professional army and a police force are underway.

Many residents of the city blame the country's central government for failing to impose its authority on militias and clamp down on a proliferation of weapons from the 2011 civil war. Some have even pressed for self-rule, complaining about discrimination by the west, where the capital, Tripoli, is located.

Special forces known as "Saaqa" took over control of Libya Shield's base in Benghazi after the clashes there. During their attempt to enter the base, five members of Saaqa were killed and 10 wounded by an explosion, according to Col. Abdullah el-Shiafy in remarks carried by the official Libyan News Agency LANA.

Other security units took control of three other Libya Shield bases in Benghazi, according to el-Shiafy.

The pro-government militia has yet to announce its next steps.

Prime Minister Ali Zidan, in a statement issued early Sunday after he cut short a tour in Libya's western towns, described the events as "sad and painful" and urged people to be cautious and exercise self-restraint.

Join in the conversation on our Facebook page. Also get the latest news by following us on Twitter.

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...