Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Ivory Coast unity govt 'possible'

11 January 2011, 08:33

London - Ivory Coast's Alassane Ouattara could form a unity government with incumbent Laurent Gbagbo's followers if the strongman drops his claim to the presidency, the country's UN envoy has said.

Ivory Coast UN ambassador Youssoufou Bamba, appointed by Ouattara and admitted as envoy at the UN headquarters in New York last month, urged Gbagbo to concede to Ouattara, in an interview with the BBC released on Monday.

Ouattara had won the disputed election, had been recognised by the international community and was the "legitimate president", he added.

"And from there, Mr Gbagbo is not alone," Bamba, who was recently appointed to the UN by Ouattara, told the British broadcaster.

"He has followers, he has competent people in his party. Those people, we are prepared to work with them. In the framework of a wide composite cabinet."

Ouattara is recognised by the UN and most of the international community as the winner of a November 28 presidential run-off in the west African nation, but Gbagbo also claims to have won the vote and is clinging to power.

Starting point

Repeated efforts by regional leaders to break the political deadlock have so far failed and Ouattara is holed up in a hotel under UN guard in Abidjan, besieged by Ivorian troops who remain loyal to Gbagbo.

The crisis has claimed at least 210 lives and led to more than 22 000 Ivorians fleeing the country amid fears of a return to civil war.

Speaking from UN headquarters in New York, Bamba said Ouattara could work with Gbagbo but insisted that the embattled strongman must concede defeat before any talks on the matter are opened.

"Yes he could work with him [Gbagbo]. Because he is an Ivorian citizen," he was cited as saying.

But he added: "What I am saying should be clear. The win by Mr Ouattara could not be put into question anymore... if Mr Gbagbo accepts that, we could negotiate. Otherwise, I could not understand how it could be otherwise."

If Gbagbo gave up his claim to power, that would be "the starting point" for talks, said the envoy.


"I think from there, everything is open. It’s on the table. But first of all Mr Gbagbo should step down," he added.

Gbagbo and his supporters are becoming increasingly isolated as international powers ramp up pressure on the strongman to step aside.

This was highlighted last week when Gbagbo ordered the expulsion of the Canadian and British envoys - only to be told that neither London and nor Ottawa recognised the legitimacy of his actions.

Ouattara is protected at the besieged Golf Hotel in Abidjan by around 800 UN peacekeepers as well as the ex-rebel New Forces allied with his camp since troops shot dead several of his supporters on December 16.

Former Nigerian president Olusegun Obasanjo was the latest regional figure to attempt to mediate the crisis. He left Ivory Coast on Monday after two days trying to find a way through the deadlock.

West African bloc Ecowas has said it could use force to get rid of Gbagbo if talks fail.

Political crisis

November's election was supposed to end a decade of unrest that has split the country between north and south, but has instead descended into a tense stand-off.

UN peacekeeping chief Alain Le Roy has said he will seek an extra 1 000 to 2 000 reinforcements for the more than 9 500-strong mission in coming days.

The Security Council is to vote on renewing the force's monthly mandate on January 17.

The Security Council on Monday reaffirmed its support for Ouattara and again urged a peaceful end to the African nation's political crisis.

"The members of the Security Council condemned attacks against peacekeepers and civilians," they said in a statement.

"Those responsible for crimes against UN personnel and civilians must be held accountable," the statement added.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...