Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


ICC says Libya can try Gaddafi spy chief

11 October 2013, 16:15

The Hague - The International Criminal Court on Friday ruled that Libya can try slain dictator Muammar Gaddafi’s former spy chief, having previously demanded he be handed over to The Hague.

Because Abdallah al-Senussi is being tried in Libya, ICC judges "concluded that the case is inadmissible before the court, in accordance with the principle of complementarity", it said.

The ICC stressed that the Senussi decision had no bearing on the case against Gaddafi’s son Saif al-Islam, who is still wanted in The Hague.

Gaddafi’s former heir apparent and others including Senussi are accused of crimes during the revolt against Gaddafi two years ago.

Judges ruled that "the case against Senussi is currently subject to domestic proceedings conducted by the Libyan competent authorities and that Libya is willing and able genuinely to carry out such investigation".

The ICC's founding document, the Rome Statute, says that the ICC cannot carry out proceedings against a suspect if they are receiving a fair trial on similar charges in a domestic court.

The court said the decision could be appealed if it appeared Senussi was not getting a free trial.

The pre-trial chamber "found that the evidence submitted by Libya is sufficient to conclude that the Libyan and the ICC investigations cover the same case and that concrete and progressive steps are being undertaken by the domestic authorities in the proceedings against Senussi".

It also took into account the fact that Senussi is detained by Libyan state authorities, the quality of the evidence against him in the domestic case, and "efforts made to resolve certain issues in the justice system by recourse to international assistance".

National criminal justice systems

A Tripoli court is to decide on 24 October whether to indict Saif al-Islam and Senussi, among 20 senior figures from Gaddafi’s regime charged with killing protesters during the 2011 revolt that toppled him.

However, Saif remains in the hands of rebels in the western Libya town of Zintan, who have refused to hand him over to Tripoli authorities.

"The ICC is a court of last resort, it does not replace national criminal justice systems, rather it compliments them," ICC spokesperson Fadi El Abdallah said in a video statement.

"It can investigate and where warranted prosecute and try individuals only if the state concerned does not, cannot or is unable genuinely to do so," he said.

Muammar Gaddafi was captured and killed by rebels in his hometown of Sirte after an eight-month revolt against his four-decade rule backed by Nato air strikes.

Saif appeared before a Zintan court last month, which adjourned a separate trial until 12 December.

Rights groups Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch had both urged the immediate handover of Saif and Senussi to the ICC to face war crimes charges.

Family members of those killed in the Abu Selim prison massacre of 1996 - allegedly ordered by Senussi - demonstrated outside the courtroom holding up pictures of those killed.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...